Sunday, September 29, 2013

Biscuits

This was a specific request from my mom. I can't have a visit with her without making biscuits at least once. My biscuits were okay before I moved, but nothing special. I decided if I was going to move to the south, I needed to make good biscuits! It took me a dozen tries or so, but I think I make pretty good biscuits now. There's a lot of variations as well, so don't feel like you always have to make plain ol' biscuits!



Biscuits:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 stick butter, cubed
3/4 to 1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450. In a large mixing bowl, add all the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder, and stir together. Add your cubed butter, and cut it in with a fork. You want to use other utencils than your hands because you need the butter to stay as cold as you can. You need the butter to be the size of about peas. Then you add your milk, starting at 3/4 of a cup. Mix with a wooden or plastic spoon until all the flour is incorporated. If you need more milk, add it a tablespoon at a time until the right consistency is reached. Sprinkle a cutting board with extra flour and flour your hands. Knead the dough four or five times and press down to about 3/4 of an inch to an inch. Use a floured biscuit cutter and put them on a baking sheet. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned on top. For extra flavor (which I always do), melt some butter and brush it on the top in the middle of cooking.

Excellent additions include: small amounts if spices (such as chili flake, rosemary, or fresh black pepper). You can also add in shredded cheese when you mix the dry ingredients. A favorite of mine is to add shredded cheddar, and make a melted butter of parsley, a sprinkle of salt, and black pepper. You make them as drop biscuits, and they come out very similar to Red Lobsters biscuits (yummmmm)! Also great with honey butter, jam, and other sweet spreads :)

*Update 10/21/13 - I'm not afraid to admit almost defeat. I made a batch of drop biscuits tonight with thyme, black pepper, red pepper flake (and melted butter on top, of course!), and they weren't looking right. Too wet and I thought they would turn out doughy. I wasn't going to waste them, so I crossed my fingers, hoped like hell, and turned on my broiler after fifteen minutes of regular cooking. After they crisped on one side, I flipped and repeated, and it was delightful! A buttery crunch on the outside, and tender on the inside. Don't give up on your biscuits!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment