Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Slow Cooker Pork Fajitas

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I am not a fancy pants cook. That being said, I love my slow cooker! If you don't, you should really give it some credit once in a while! To be honest, I want a good dinner, but I don't feel up to babysitting something I'm going to braise for hours and hours. In comes the slow cooker. I don't like making ENTIRE meals in the slow cooker, but I'll do the star of the show and put together a few simple sides or components myself. 

That being said, I'm trying new things, and I never liked fajitas because all the onions and bell peppers. I'm older now, and I'm willing to try it (so is my boyfriend because he doesn't know there's going to be peppers all over it, ssshhhh!). I think some shredded pork is just what we need to overcome this hurtle. I do recommend buying a bigger cut of meat for your slow cooker so it doesn't dry out. Also, they're an investment to begin with (which I don't always have), but when I can get them, big cuts are a money saver. I got a 3 lb pork roast for about 4.50, steal!

 

This meal is pretty simple, which was exactly what I needed today. If you don't have the time or the drive to make 6 things to put together one dinner, this is your meal ticket

For the pork:
 3 lb pork roast
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp thyme
1/4 onion, sliced thick
1/2 jalapeno, sliced 
1 can of mild enchilada sauce, green or red works
generous amount of fresh pepper

For the "fajita" part:
1/2 a green bell pepper, cut into slices
1/2 a red bell pepper, cut into slices
1/2 a yellow or red onion, sliced 
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly cracked black pepper 

Set a slow cooker to high. Rub seasoning all over pork, and sear until brown in a pre heated cast iron (or heavy bottomed) skillet over medium high heat. While browning, chop onion and put on the bottom of the slow cooker, along with 1/2 a jalapeno, sliced with seeds and ribs (you can remove the seeds and ribs for less heat). Add 1/2 cup water over the vegetables and place your pork roast on top.This is going to cook on high for 5 hours. Halfway through cooking, add 1/4 cup enchilada sauce for flavor. Once it's done, take the roast out on a plate and shred the meat. Fat and juice will accumulate at the bottom of the cooker, drain of most of it (all but maybe 1/4 cup) through a strainer so you don't lose your vegetables. Put your meat back in with 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. You can skip the draining of the juice and just add the enchilada sauce, but you're meat will be much more wet and may tear your tortillia. Your meat is done!

While the meat is cooking, use the same pan you cooked seared your meat in, and heat it too just below medium. Add your butter and chopped veggies, and season with cumin, salt and pepper. How long you cook it, depends on how crisp you want your veggies. If you still want to have some bite, you'll want to cook for about ten minutes. I, however, don't like my veggies pulling out of my fajita, so I cook my down a little more, about twenty minutes. This way, my bell pepper still has some bite on the inside, but it's up to you! To put these together, you put shredded meat, and the peppers and onions on top!

Excellent condiments include: shredded cheese, avocado slices, sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, and lime wedges. I personally used leftover pico de gallo, a little sour cream, and lime wedges. Sooooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment