Sunday, December 14, 2014

Cheese Tortellini with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce

I know, I know. "Sarah, where have you been?!" I'm a turrible person, yes, I said turrible, not terrible. School and a particular baby have been eating up my time and brain space, and I apologize. That being said, I went grocery shopping after planning my whole week of dinners, and I'm SUPER excited for what's in store. Not to mention I got enough ingredients for six home cooked dinners, enough leftovers for two or three impressive lunches, and some bisquick and sausage links for some lovely breakfasts for $60. That being said, I accomplished said trip because my precious baby was at grandmas house, and so that means today was cleaning day! Not really feeling like putting a whole bunch of time into my cooking, but wanted something great to eat at the end of today. I picked a good option...it was so good.

It was start a new paragraph good. See, I'm Italian at heart, and big old plate of pasta with some crusty garlic bread is just what I need sometimes. Nothing warms my tummy quite the same, and this just did it. The best part, is the sauce in this recipe is so versatile, you can do almost anything with it. I am going to put two different suggestions, simply because next time I make it, I already thought of what I want to do different and see the variety that could make it absolutely both versatile AND delicious. Plus its a cheater recipe, and who doesn't need those every now and then. Get your stretchy pants and fuzzy socks.....it's about to get delicious and full of pasta!



Ingredients:
1 12 oz frozen bag cheese tortellini
8 oz smoked sausage, cut in whatever style you like (or realistically any meat you prefer)
1 regular sized can Italian style diced tomatoes (save the juice)
1/2 any variety onion, diced fine
1 clove garlic, diced fine
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flake (depending how much heat you like)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
8 oz softened cream cheese OR 1 can cream of chicken soup with a handful of mozzarella tossed in
Salt and pepper to taste 

Roll with me on these directions, so my "OR" option doesn't throw you off. The technique is as follows: Take your meat, I used smoked sausage diced into half moons, and brown them in a pot (big enough for the whole dish) over medium heat in olive oil (or any oil you have), until nicely browned. Take them out and put them on a plate. Add in your diced onion and cook for about 3 minutes until translucent, while scraping away the brown goodness on the bottom of the pan. In the meantime, strain your tomatoes and save the liquid, you will use it to thin your sauce, and you paid for it! Use it! Add your meat, onion, and strained tomatoes into your pot. I used cream of chicken soup and had some mozzarella on hand, so I added about 3/4 of a cup and mixed all that together. Then I added as much of my strained liquid until my sauce was the thickness I like, this is a personal preference, add as much or as little as you want. I already had my tortellini thawed, so I just put them in my sauce to warm through and merry a little, about 10 minutes. If yours aren't thawed, follow the directions to do so, or cook them right in the sauce. Just remember at the end, depending on how much tomato liquid you added, you may need to adjust seasoning. Enjoy! I know I did :D

The OR option: you could totally add cream cheese instead of the canned soup and cheese and you would probably just need more tomato juice to thin it out, but if you like your pasta extra creamy/tangy, this IS your option :)

Also, I bought some of that awesome herb and garlic bread from the bakery at Wal-Mart for a dollar and made awesome garlic bread. I follow something close to this. Thanks Tyler! Tyler Florence Herb Garlic Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment