Friday, December 19, 2014

Pan Roasted Lemon Garlic Chicken

This is a simple recipe. Sometimes I don't have money to burn on chicken breasts, but when I do, I like them simply done and cooked right because they're kind of a treat for me to just have whole and cut up, like a big ol' chicken steak!!! Nothing makes their flavor pop like some lemon, and I can't help but add some garlic into the party! The marinade I make will have its own little post, because it's a great all over marinade for roasting veggies, almost any meat, it's just delicious and versatile. This will go with a lovely lemon pan sauce, and it results in such juicy and brown chicken, it's irresistible. Served with some roasted potatoes and veggies (in one pan, duh!!), that it makes for a uncomplicated and no fuss, but still elegant meal. Enough talk, go make your chicken with lemony goodness! Its a word.....lemony.....lemonie? Spelling isn't what matters! The chicken matters




Ingredients:
Zest and juice of 1 lemon (divided)
3 tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1/4 tsp (heaping) salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp (heaping) italian seasoning
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp (heaping) lemon pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken breast
Water or chicken stock
1 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper to taste

The most important part here is the marinade. It really does all your work for you. Zest your lemon and divide it in half. Put the zest, juice of HALF the lemon, garlic, all the spices, and olive oil in a zip top bag and mix it up. That's your marinade. I like to poke holes in my chicken breast with a fork before I put it in the bag for maximum flavor, but its optional. Put your chicken in and let sit for at least an hour, but no more than three max because the acid in here will change the texture of your meat after a while. 

Preheat your oven to 400 and heat some oil in a skillet over medium high heat. While that heats, make sure when your chicken comes out the marinade theres no chunks of garlic on them, they'll burn, no need to wipe the marinade off. Cook them until nicely brown on each side, about 2 or 3 minutes per side. Off the heat, add the juice of the other half a lemon, and enough water to barely come up the side of the chicken, maybe about 1/2 a cup. You basically want enough to deglaze and ensure that the pan won't run out of water during the roasting time. Put it in the oven for about 12 minutes, give or take. It depends if you let your chicken come up to room temperature and how fast your oven is. Take the chicken out to rest while you do your sauce. It's essentially just deciding how thick you want it. I had enough brown bits on the bottom that I didn't need stock, the water turned into a really rich stock, and the lemon I had was really juicy, so that half was all I needed. I added the rest of my zest, about 1 tbsp of flour mixed with some water, cooked it for about two minutes until I had a nice glossy sauce (not as thick as gravy), and finished it with salt and pepper. The sauce consistency is your call, add more or less flour and lemon juice depending how "lemony" you like it. It was a delightful sauce, it really was. Just take in mind, as it sits and thickens, it can get pretty acidic, so I would eat as soon as its done! Yum yum! Simplicity at its finest

No comments:

Post a Comment