Friday, April 25, 2014

Waffle Burger

This burger has a story that just has to be told. One of the first things I made on my grill was burgers. Not over the top, win any awards, spend an hour preparing all the pieces, kind of burgers. Get dinner on the table kind of burgers, you know? AFTER they were done, my boyfriend informs me he could make a better burger....and he did. I said I wasn't on my game because I didn't KNOW I was making competition burgers, I should get a rematch. Makes sense so far, right?

He tells me, "Go right ahead. I'll come up with a burger too, and I'll win". Riiiiiiight.....I've won EVERY cook off I've ever done. I wasn't worried. I should have been...

I thought I had it in the bag. I made a 6 ounce patty, cooked medium, with melted American cheese (his favorite), pickle slices, rib tips with homemade barbeque sauce nestled inside some crispy seasoned onion rings. It wouldn't do without a special homemade sauce. He eats it and said it was really good, but he was going to win.

Then he drops the bomb. "I'm making a waffle burger. Its gonna have bacon, melted cheese, and maple syrup." DAMN. My only contribution here was to add the fried egg, that's it. Theres no point in finishing the rest of the story. Think about it, bacon, egg, burger patty, maple syrup, melted cheese...what's missing? NOTHING. That's what. And I lost.....



I know what you're thinking, that's a donut burger! I know this, but I was focusing on the burger toppings, we had an egg, like the donut burger, but in the waffle burger format above (except our waffles were round). This is a messy burger, and its not good for you at all, but damn is it good.

Waffle Burger
6 ounce burger patty, seasoned LIBERALLY with s/p
2 waffles, lightly toasted and buttered on one side
2 slices of thick cut bacon
1 slice of american cheese
1 egg, fried (also seasoned with s/p)
Maple syrup

The components are simple. Preheat your grill to high heat and close your lid, let preheat for 10 minutes. The cooking time will depend on your grill. I cooked it 4 minutes on one side, then flipped it, put my cheese on, closed the lid, and let it go 3 more minutes. You can rest it on a plate with tin foil tented to keep it warm. You can make your bacon and egg ahead of time. Put your bacon in a cold skillet and put it up to medium heat and cook turning occasionally until crisp. If you really don't care about calories, fry your egg in the bacon fat. Just do it over a lower heat so it has more time to cook on top before you flip it. There is no science in my book yet for a fried egg, some eggs cooperate, some just don't. It'll be delicious regardless. My biggest tip for this burger, is too salt things more than you think you would, and put A LOT of cracked pepper on your bacon. Here's why, maple syrup is really sweet, and you won't taste anything else if it's not seasoned (if not a little over seasoned). To assemble, put a buttered waffle, your burger patty, fried egg, slices of bacon, and drizzle over maple syrup to your hearts content, and top with your last waffle! Its heavenly....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment