Friday, November 1, 2013

Slow Cooker Apple and Onion Pork Roast

I had a plan when I went shopping, it was buy one get one free on chicken thighs, and they were more per pound than usual. There I was again, one plan out the window, and I had to come up with something on the fly. I was trying to get a decent amount of meat for a week for under $9. Pork sirloin roasts were on sale, and I saw my meal ticket! I got a five pound roast for about $8.50. Luckily, I had delicious things in my pantry. If you've never tried pork and apples in any combination...you need to, you just do. I could see it, juicy pulled pork, with slow cooked granny apples, and sweet onion. I was sold! I knew this would be a good recipe for this chilly, cold, stormy day. With such a large cut, my options for leftovers will be endless. I will be sure to post my ideas later in the week for leftovers. Tonight, I'm catering to Jeremys favorites, and so I'm making some healthy burritos with whole wheat tortillas and home made salsa. You'll be missing out if you don't give this a try when any roasts go on sale...just sayin'



Pork Sirloin Roast:
4 1/2 to 5 lb pork roast
1 rounded tbsp salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp cumin
1 big onion (any kind), sliced into half moons
1 large granny smith apple, sliced, but not too thin
2 cups chicken stock or chicken bullion

Preheat a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over high heat. Sprinkle all the seasonings over your pork roast. This seems like a lot, but there's a lot of meat on the inside that won't get seasoned, so you need a lot on the outside to ensure a lot of flavor. After your pan is heated, sear your pork until browned on four sides, about 2 to 3 minutes for each side. While your pork is browning, put your stock, apple, and onion in the slow cooker. Put your pork roast in the slow cooker, and turn it to low for 8 to 10 hours because this is a large cut of meat. You can also do it on high for about 5, but I really recommend slow for this one.

Also a side note, you can use a different kind of apple, but this kind of apple has a tartness that cuts through the richness of the pork. If you have a different kind of apple, slice up about half a lemon and add that so you have some acid to balance out your flavors. YUM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment