Sunday, August 31, 2014

Slow Cooker Ham and White Beans

Its been forever. I miss my blog. Mommyhood has taken me by storm! Im so caught up with my son, who is now SIX MONTHS OLD!!! They grow up so fast. He's so smart, and I've been busy with him, school, and our ten million dogs since our pitbull had a dozen puppies. You know those, not days, but weeks at a time when you want to just rip your hair out? This is for those times. It's not a shortcut really, its just simple...and damn is it good. I wish it wasn't so hot, but when its ready tonight, it'll be cool enough for this to hit the spot. 

Ive never been shy to share with you what I cannot cook. Asian food....I don't wanna talk about it. Another one, you're in for another culinary failure of mine. Dry beans. Thats right. I stink at cooking dried beans. Im trying these in the slow cooker because apparently its "fool proof". I'll come after the person who said this if they so happen to be wrong (you know who you are, muahahahaha). Anyways, its just stewed white beans, with big salty chunks of ham, and some simple seasoning. By itself its pretty good, but with some sweet corn bread on the side (I always use Jiffys mix if I don't have time to make my own, its my favorite), its a marriage made in heaven. Its like the Bonnie and Clyde of stewed things and bread, except maybe pot roast and a hunk of french bread. They might be neck and neck....

Regardless, make it! Its SOOOO cheap to make, and you won't regret it! Just look at it down there, looking all delicious and such....mmmmmmmm




1lb ham, can be shank, steaks, or already cooked and cubed (I prefer the first two options though)
1lb bag of dried great northern beans
1/2 large white onion (or 1 small), diced
1 large garlic clove, chopped small
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into half moons
6 cups water
1 rounded tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme or rosemary (half the amount if dried)
Salt and pepper to taste

Set slow cooker to low. Put all your onion, beans, carrots, and garlic in the slow cooker. If the ham is on the bone, you can put it in whole, if already chopped, put the pieces in as well. Place your six cups of water and seasonings and herbs in, but hold the salt. I've heard salt can make dried beans tough, so I didn't want to take the chance, and the ham is salty as well, so I reserved salting until the end. Put the lid on and let this go for 8 hours or until beans are tender. Be careful salting at the end, you can always add more, but not take away! If your ham was whole, shred it and remove the bone, if not, you're just good to stuff your face. This really is a walk away from it type of meal, not much can go wrong!

ETA (optional tweaks): I have to say, after the eight hours, I thought it would be great, but I tweaked two things that are optional. I added two tablespoons of flour mixed with water and cranked it to high for about ten minutes to thicken it since SOME people *cough cough* Jeremy *cough* like pretty thick stew. One tablespoon would make it inbetween soup and stew, and leaving the flour out gives you a fantastic broth. Tweak number two, I like my dishes with lots of carbs to have a little kick, so I added 1 tsp hot sauce, you could also do red pepper flake, I just didn't have any. I say again, MAKE IT!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment