Monday, September 23, 2013

Deviled Eggs with Raspberry and Serrano Compote

I know, I know....I'm not a fancy pants kind of cook. However, this recipe wasn't my idea, blame my "non food snoot" boyfriend. He loves him some deviled eggs, and we were tired of the same old ones. I love spicy, and he loves different jams and preserves of sorts. I wanted to do serrano ones, like a take on jalapeno poppers, but he wanted something sweet. These deviled eggs were the answer. Its basically a normal deviled egg mixture, but this topper makes it unique and special, some sweet and some heat.



I know the caption is slightly confusing, but until my camera gets in, I have to use online pictures. This is the closest I could get, but the compote reduces to a lovely red color and is used sparingly on top like this picture. 

Deviled Eggs:
6 hardboiled eggs 
2 1/2 tbsp mayo
1 rounded tbsp sour cream
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp finely chopped red onion
2 tsp chopped dill pickle
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly cracked black pepper

Compote:
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 tsp water
1/2 serrano pepper, diced finely
Pinch of salt and pepper

For the compot, add all ingredients into a small saucepan and cook over very low heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until is barely bubbles. Take this off the heat and let it cool.

After slicing the eggs in half, empty the yolks into a bowl, add all the other ingredients and smush (very important term) them together with a fork until you reach a smooth consistency. This can also be done with a handheld or stand mixer. Spoon the mixture evenly between the eggs, or if you want to be fancy, you can use a piping bag. For the final touches, add a small amount (a teaspoon or so) of the compote on each egg, a very thin slice of serrano pepper, and a sprinkling of parsley and cajun seasoning for some kick! Super delish
 

No comments:

Post a Comment