Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mexican Lasagna

Leftovers are a specialty of mine, and I just happen to have a bunch of leftover pork and tortillas. I love regular lasagna, but I don't have those ingredients on hand, and I would love to try one of these Mexican lasagnas! It's basically layers of tortillas, some type of meat and sauce combination, and cheese. Other variations have refried beans, or even posole, but I'm going a simpler route. Luckily, to complete this one, I only needed a can of black beans, enchilada sauce, and stewed tomatoes. I think this will be my go to recipe when I'm too lazy to actually roll up enchiladas (you know you have those days, don't lie)  :D


This picture turned out very similar to mine, except mine had shredded pork, no corn, and lots of cheese on top! You can't have too much cheese! *cough* Jeremy *cough*....

1 1/2 cups leftover shredded beef
1 15 ounce can lightly drained stewed tomatoes 
2 tbsp water 
1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
Finely diced jalapeno with seeds and ribs (1 tsp for mild, up to 1/2 jalapeno for spicy)
Juice of 1/2 small lime 
1 can of enchilada sauce (either color, mild or spicy)
Lots of shredded pepper jack or monterey jack cheese

To bring your meat back to life, put it in a medium sized pot on low heat and add your tomatoes and water. My tomatoes were a little big for my taste, so I simmered it for ten minutes and broke everything into smaller pieces. The water will steam away, but will keep your meat mixture from burning. Then add your black beans, cumin, salt, pepper, jalapeno, and lime. Simmer this for another 15 minutes, and set aside until you're ready for assembly.

I used a glass, round casserole dish for this so I wouldn't have to tear the tortillas to fit (taco size tortillas fit my dish perfectly). Put a tortilla on the bottom, 2 tbsp of enchilada sauce, 1 cup of meat/tomato/bean mixture, a tortilla, 2 tbsp of sauce, a layer of pepper jack, and you repeat this for 3 layers. I chose to omit the last tortilla on top and just top my meat mixture with cheese, but its up to you. I cooked this for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven, covered in foil so the cheese wouldn't burn. I took off the foil and let it cook until the cheese was brown around the edges and bubbly. Let it sit AT LEAST ten minutes before cutting so it has a chance to congeal slightly. I topped with fresh tomatoes and sour cream, with a squeeze of lime juice. Lazy enchiladas!!! I mean....Mexican lasagna!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment