Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Rigatoni with roasted Zuchinni and Sausage

I usually never know what I'm making for dinner, and I like to get what's on sale. I happened to see zucchini and sausage on sale. I'm not a big zucchini fan, not because I've tried it so many times, but the couple times I have, it was spongy or slimy. I can't say the same about my mom, so I decided, what's cheaper than pasta? I love any vegetables roasted, so I was going to roast the zucchini with some tomatoes, and make a cream sauce with sausage. The thought of it warmed my stomach...mmmmmm. This one's for you mom





This picture is of a baked rigatoni, so it basically has more cheese on top but the same general notion! Needless to say, I thought it was really good, and it got the boyfriend seal of approval!

For the vegetables:
2 roma tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch dice
1 small zucchini, cut into half moons
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
fresh black pepper

For the sauce and pasta:
8 ounces rigatoni (cooked to package directions)
1/2 lb spicy italian sausage (its not that spicy)
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp flour
1 pint of cream
Salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 425. Spread all your vegetables on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the salt and pepper, and move them around with your hands or tongs to make sure they're evenly coated. Roast them for about 25 minutes.
 
For sauce, brown half pound spicy italian sausage for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain sausage and set aside, leaving fat in the pan. Put in one clove of chopped garlic, cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 tbsp flour and cook together until no longer white. Add one pint of cream, while stirring or whisking to avoid lumps, and cook down until thickened over medium heat, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, I think I started with 1/2 tsp salt, but different brands of sausage have different amounts of salt already in them, so salt wisely. Fold in roasted veggies (including juice) and sausage. Take your precooked rigatoni and stir together in the pan and top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if you like. This dish has as much vegetables as sausage, the cream is the only bad part, talk about delicious! Also, most any seasonal vegetables or ground meat can be substituted, so its very versatile. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment