Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Oven Roasted Steak Fries

I think we all have those times when we just want an entire plate of french fries. I remember when I was little, my dad would make these all the time, and they were my favorite part of dinner. Except if we were having ribs....but I digress. Potatoes are not the enemy here, it's the frying. Not only is it unhealthy, I find it to be a hassle since I don't have a deep fryer and I hate candy thermometers. I roast them in the oven, and I prefer them that way now. They are so versatile with the types of seasoning you can put on them, and the dips you can create. Don't buy any more frozen fries to fry or bake, these steak fries will put them to shame every time!



I can't wait until I get my camera and I can take my own pictures! Until then, the pictures still have their original links below. 

Steak Fries:
2 russet potatoes, cut into 12 wedges each
2 tbsp canola or olive oil
1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
Fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat your oven to 450. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Cut each half down the middle lengthwise so you have 4 long spears per potato (or 8 total). Take each spear, and cut them into 3 wedges each. This doesn't have to be exact, but you need each piece to be about the same size so they cook evenly. Put them in a large bowl and mix the oil and seasoning evenly over the potatoes. Lay them on their side on a baking sheet, and be sure there is space between them so they brown evenly. Bake for about 20 minutes before flipping each over to their other side. Bake for another 10 minutes. 30 minutes works pretty well for me.If you aren't happy with how brown they are, you can always broil them for a minute or two. You may want to taste and adjust your seasonings, because sometimes potatoes really soak up salt. Your fries are done and go with any condiment you care to put on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment