Saturday, October 26, 2013

Slow Cooker Turkey Chili

I'm pregnant, I'm cranky, and my house is a disaster. I plan on marathon cleaning, which means I'm not planning on a very labor intensive dinner. As always, I have what was on sale. A two for one sale on all things canned, and a butcher special on ground turkey, its a no brainer! The weather is getting chillier, which means my dinners need to warm my tummy. The ominous EVER GROWING BUMP that eats EVERYTHING!!!! *People run away screaming* I blame him in there...I seem to have gotten off topic somehow. Point being, this is easy, relatively healthy, and hearty after a hard day of work with practically no prep involved. Easy on your wallet too, you can thank me later.



As the picture depicts, I prefer black beans in my chili, but I only have chili beans on hand. If you were to add black beans, you would just need to adjust seasoning slightly for the missing seasoning from the chili beans.

Turkey Chili:
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic, small dice
1 can chili beans (black beans preferred, pintos would work)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock 
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp allspice  
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp salt 
Black pepper

Add all the ingredients into the crock pot. When I say lightly drained of any canned ingredient, I just take the top of the can and use it as a makeshift strainer so a little bit of the liquid stays put. You have two options for the stock portion, if you have actual broth or stock, add the half cup. If not, you can add 1/2 cup of water and some beef or chicken bullion. You can cook this on low for up to 6 hours, but as long as the turkey cooks, it can be a "fast" slow cooker meal, maybe 2 hours on high. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment