Sunday, January 5, 2014

Deboning a Chicken Thigh

I get enough chicken thighs that you would think I would debone them all the time. Guess what? I don't! Most of the time I'm using it in a shredded fashion and I like to cook it on the bone for the flavor. But sometimes, every now and then, I like to glaze them whole, or roast them with the skin on. Now I myself don't mind this at all! It's almost impossible to make dry, and I like to get my hands on some meat and eat it off the bone. However, if you're like me, you may have some picky family members *cough cough* Jeremy *cough*, who just prefer boneless. Tonight, I'm actually making tacos, so my meat will be shredded. I just didn't want to cook it in the oven, and I don't want to boil it since I actually want this meat to have a little chew and texture from the carmelization. I'm also really short on time, but the other reason sounds so much better doesn't it? I had to debone it, and am I glad I did! I've never done this, and it took me about a minute and a half per thigh, so with practice, this will be a two minute job for as much chicken as I need. It will save you SO much money over buying boneless chicken thighs!

I don't have a picture for this one, but I have a video I saw, and I will describe it as I did it. I started at the knob at the top, with a sharp, smaller knife. You cut down the center along the bone (you can feel the bone down the center). Once you can see the slit along the bone, you pick one side to work down, and cut as close to the bone as you can, then you do the other side. Take the knob in the middle of the thigh, and cut as close as you can along the top of it, I found there was some cartilage. Once I got past that, I could hold the knob, and cut as close to the bone, down the back, and I hardly wasted any meat. I also found, once I was that far, I could use my knife to kind of "scrape" my way down the bone which saved even more meat. Take a look at the following link to see what I mean. Get your knives, get deboning!

No comments:

Post a Comment