Sunday, January 5, 2014

Italian Sausage with Onion Gravy and Egg Noodles

Its been REALLY cold. And I'm getting REALLY pregnant. Between trying to clean for at least an hour (it's challenging, trust me), and put last touches in the nursery, I have not been making things from scratch. This wasn't a complete short cut meal, but it warmed my stomach and tasted like it had taken all day long. Kids wouldn't even notice the onions, and it pleases adult with all its developed flavors. It was perfect to make my easy green beans on the side, and things could cook away for about twenty minutes while I went and did whatever I needed to do. With all these storms coming, you're going to want to make this (if you still have power)! :D



I found a picture as close as I could, the only difference in this picture, is there chunks of stew meat, and mine had chunks of sausage. My gravy was also a little thicker, but it's the same general idea.

Italian Sausage with Onion Gravy:
1 package of hot italian sausages (mine came in packages of 5 and I used 3)
1/3 cup finely diced onion
3/4 cup frozen greens
1 package onion soup mix
1 package brown gravy mix
2 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
2 1/2 to 3 cups water
1/2 of one big package of egg noodles, cooked
Salt and pepper to taste

It seems like its kind of a lot of ingredients, but it's really easy. Heat up a large cast iron skillet (or just a big regular skillet) over medium high heat with the butter or vegetable oil in the bottom. Once hot, you can cut open your sausage casing or push the meat out the small hole in the top and bottom and into your skillet. Spread it out a little with your spoon, and leave it alone to brown for about 3 minutes per side. Turn the heat to medium and add your onion, you can then break up your meat into smaller pieces, but still leave it chunky. After about five minutes, add your soup and gravy mix along with your water. Add in your frozen greens, and turn your heat to high. Stir frequently until it boils for a minute or two, then turn your heat to medium low and simmer for twenty minutes. You can cook it down longer if its not thick enough for you. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve over your cooked egg noodles. This was EASILY my favorite dinner of the week!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment