Thursday, December 5, 2013

Roasted Asparagus

I love asparagus, and in fact, I've only had it roasted. I do not understand the people who don't like it. There are so many different ways to change it up, but I'm posting a simple version that you can add things to if you want. My boyfriend has never been a big vegetable eater unless I mix it into something else, and he LOVES this asparagus. It only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, and anybody can do it, I promise :D


In this particular recipe, beyond your normal salt and pepper, I'm using lemon to give this a twist. Ive added garlic powder, or chopped roasted garlic, chili flake, parmesan cheese, and balsamic vinegar to name a few. But this a fantastic starter recipe so you can imagine the possibilities.

Asparagus:
1 bunch of asparagus (about 1 lb)
1 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper 

Preheat your oven to 425. To trim your asparagus, take one and snap it near the end, it will naturally snap where it is supposed to break. Trim the rest of the ends off using the first end as a guide. Place them on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Add 2 teaspoons of the lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste, I added about 3/4 tsp salt, and a generous crack of pepper. Roast in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. I do a taste test at the end to see if it needs a fresh squeeze of lemon or a sprinkle of salt because sometimes vegetables just soak that stuff up! Super delish

A side note for those healthy eaters *cough cough* mom *cough cough*, if you wanted to add cherry tomatoes to this dish and cook for the same amount of time, that could be all your side dishes in one. A grilled chicken breast with roasted asparagus and tomatoes is super delicious and healthy. Try it...you might like it  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment