Thursday, December 5, 2013

Damn Good Turkey

As promised, I will teach you the ways of the turkey. This will be a long post, because this was a process of trial and error through the years before I figured out how I prefer to make a turkey. I made my first turkey at seventeen, when I made EVERYTHING that year and pretty much hosted Thanksgiving (with the help of my fabulous sous chef, my mom), and I was hooked. I'll never not cook at Thanksgiving again! I even cooked the meal when I went out of town to see my grandparents across the country, I can't stop. I'm putting a picture below to show you about what my turkey looked like, and below, I'm getting into "the ways" young padawan learner...


Okay, let's start with basics -
- How big? If you have a big party, about 1lb per person is a good number. I, however, cooked a twenty pounder for the two of us because it was fifty cents per pound, and you can't beat savings like that for leftovers. 
- To brine or not to brine? I guess the relevant question is, what is a brine? A brine is a solution of water, sugar, and salt that the meat soaks in to ensure moisture while cooking. You can also add flavorings such as spices or citrus. It absolutely helps if you have the time and I myself have done it several times. Check out my post about brining by clicking the link. 
- How long should I cook it per pound? YOU DONT!!!!! We have these great things called meat thermometers, and they can ensure you never overcook anything again. I cook my turkeys until about 160, and pull it out to rest for about 30 to 45 minutes. For my twenty pound turkey, it took about 4 hours and 15 minutes. Disregard those nosy aunts who swear it won't be done below six hours of cooking....sure, if you like dry ass turkey
- How do I get brown skin without burning it? I happen to love/hate Alton Brown, but I did adopt his theory to start in a hot oven and knock it down later. I start at 450 for thirty minutes, then knock it down to 325. What if your skin gets too brown? I make a little turkey tent out of aluminum foil and I cover the breast meat, I've never had legs overbrown. It traps steam in to keep the white meat moist, and leaves everything crispy

Thanksgiving Turkey:
20 lb turkey
1 cup chicken stock
2 lemons, halfed
1/2 bunch of both sage and parsley
1 onion, quartered
1 stick of butter
Salt and pepper

Let your stick of butter come to room temperature. Fill the cavity of the turkey with onions, lemons, and leftover herbs. Chop 2 tablespoons of both the sage and parsley, making 4 tablespoons total. Measure out 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 tablespoon pepper. Zest your lemon, and cut it in half. Add all your herbs, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of the juice to your butter and mix it up. Pull the skin of your turkey breast away from the meat, being careful not to tear it. Take half your butter (reserve one tablespoon for your gravy though), and use your hands to put it in tablespoon dollops under the skin of the breast. Put the other half on top scattered evenly over the legs, and breast. Pour your stock in the bottom of the roasting pan, because this will help keep the meat moist and add to your drippings. Place your turkey in the pan and into your preheated 450 degree oven. After 30 minutes, drop it to 325 and check it about every 30 minutes. Baste it occassionally, but I don't do it too often because it can deter browning. When you check your temperature, put the thermometer in the deepest part of the thigh, just about in the middle where the leg joint is. At 160, you're ready to pull it and let it rest. You're on your own for carving it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment