Monday, September 23, 2013

Pico de Gallo

Don't get me wrong, I love a good salsa, and I have nothing against it. However, sometimes I want more texture, and less liquid. A good condiment for almost any meat, it is a raw (uncooked) preparation, that gets its great flavor from letting it marinate. I made this originally for California Burritos, but goes really well with any latin type of recipes, or even just on toasted bread rounds. Enjoy :D



Pico de Gallo: (for two with leftovers)
3 roma tomatoes, diced into chunks
4 tbsp of chopped red or yellow onion
2 tbsp of chopped Italian curly leaf parsley (or cilantro)
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp hot sauce


I use Roma tomatoes for two reasons, one is because they're always the cheapest, and also because you need a tomato that is firm and not too watery. The lime and salt will draw out moisture, and you'll get pico mush (ewwww) if you get a watery tomato. I wouldn't use white onion in this because the flavor is rather harsh, and the focus is the tomatoes here. You can use cilantro, but I happen to be a cilantro hater, and the curly parsley gives a similar texture and more mild flavor, but if you love cilantro, just substitute. Mix together all the ingredients and give it a taste. The lime and salt should be most prominent, and if it seems a little over the top, figure this is going on chips or tacos, which need some "brightening up". Let sit for at least one hour to let flavors marry and mellow. Even better if you can do it the day ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment